Emla is a strong local anesthetic which is available in a cream form and is used to anesthetize the individual parts of the body. This product contains lidocaine and prilocaine - drugs that belong to the group of local anesthetics of the amide type.
Emla is used for surface anesthesia of skin and mucous membranes. Anesthesia of the skin occurs due to the penetration of active ingredients of Emla in deep layers of the epidermis and dermis. The medical effect of Emla depends on the duration of time period of application and a dose of lidocaine and prilocaine. Before the use of the drug, it is necessary to accurately examine the severity of the injury, damage or severity of surgical intervention in order to apply a correct layer of Emla to achieve the optimal analgesia.
If you apply Emla to the skin for 1-2 hours, the duration of anesthesia after removal of occlusive dressings will be about two hours. Perhaps, in some patients duration of anesthesia will be a little less, but this is explained only by the individual sensitivity of the organism and the nerve’s reactions of each person. During clinical studies it was determined that 90% of patients has a good anesthesia during 60 minutes after applying the cream. This is confirmed by the fact that 60 minutes after application of the cream can be held with the procedure of the needle into a depth of 2 mm. If the puncture is carried out after 120 minutes - the procedure of needles puncture are allowed into a depth of 3 mm.
Direction for the use:
- The anesthesia of the skin during punctures and superficial surgical procedures
- In case of mechanical treatment of venous ulcers of the lower limbs
- Anesthesia of genital mucosa before the painful manipulations (including medical surgeon and leveling operations with penile defects)
Emla Common Use
- Emla is made for surface anesthesia of skin and mucous membranes.
- In case of needles use or during minor surface operations, a thick layer of cream is applied under occlusive dressing and kept the cream for 60 minutes for adult patients.
- During surgeon operation on the large area of the skin, duration of application must be doubled up to 2 hours.
- Maximum time of application can be no longer than 5 hours.
- If Emla is used in Pediatric Surgery, a dosage must be set according to the age of a child and medical requirements.
- It is not recommended to apply the application longer than 1 hour in case you apply Emla to kids younger 1 year.
- It is absolutely contraindicated to apply the cream to the areas with skin lesions and to the areas of the skin around the eyes. When applying the cream to the areas with open wounds and burns, the patient may hurt himself even more by increasing the severity of injury.
- Do not use Emla in ENT practice if there is a risk of penetration of the drug into the middle ear.
- Emla is contraindicated if the patient has an individual intolerance of prilocaine, lidocaine and other local anesthetics of the amide type.
- When you apply Emla in children younger than 1 year, you need to be very careful and only trust a qualified medical doctor who has had experience with the drug. In children younger than 1 year, there is the risk of developing methemoglobinemia.
- If a doctor prescribes Emla to the patients with cardiac arrhythmia, that are used antiarrhythmic drugs, the dosage should be administered with the patient's condition.
- It is possible to prescribe Emla to pregnant women only after full careful examination of the risks and benefits by a physician. A physician must be sure that lidocaine and prilocaine are not able to enter the placenta.
- Some of the concentrations of lidocaine and prilocaine are determined in breast milk. Do not use Emla cream during breast -feeding.
Possible Side effects
After using Emla the patient may feel mild local reactions: skin irritation, swelling at the area of application of the drug, a slight burning and itching after applying the drug. On the basis of medical practice, these side effects disappear very quickly and are not dangerous. The reason of the side effects is that active ingredients of the drug effect on blood vessels, which in its turn provokes these reactions.
International name - lignocaine and prilocaine.
Emla 5g cream
Use discount code: SALE